Fire fighters fight windy conditions
DOWNS – Area firefighters were busy yesterday as hazardous wind conditions played havoc on several fires in the surrounding areas of Osborne and Jewell counties Sunday afternoon.
In Jewell County, the Formoso, Jewell, Randall and Mankato fire departments were dispatched at 9:19 a.m. to a fire which was started in a tree line at North Pheasant Farm, 265 and U Road.
Several fire departments were called in on a second fire at 11:40 a.m. in the Downs Fire District. Mutual Aid was provided by Smith Center, Esbon, Lebanon, Burr Oak, MCO Fire District No. 1 and MC Fire District No. 3 and Tipton fire departments, who were dispatched to help south of Dentonia, at 30th and G Road in Erving township in Jewell County, for a field of corn stocks on fire that spread to surrounding grass, stubble, timber and pasture land.
The fire was possibly started from an electric line and Rolling Hills Electric disconnected the power and fixed the problem.
"The fire was moving so fast being wind driven," said Down's Fire Chief Kail Schoen. "We had zero visibility at times because of the smoke, with very dangerous conditions but thankfully there was no structure loss and nobody was injured."
An estimated 200 acres of land was burnt.
"We received assistance from numerous local individuals with tractors and disc and additional tanks of water that helped fight the fire, which we were very grateful for," said Schoen.
Fire units were on scene throughout Sunday night to watch for hot spots. A little moisture in the form of drizzle, raised the humidity levels to where the grass wasn't as much of a threat but much needed rain is needed for the drought stricken areas in Kansas.
At 1:33 p.m., a third grass fire occurred four miles east of Randall taking fire fighters from the second fire to attend to it.
The National Weather Service initially called dispatch for a fourth fire they had on radar at 1:38 p.m., located three miles south of Mankato in the Jewell's fire district. This was a field fire that had jumped the road. Another possible fire was called in by the NWS who can only see a mass on the radar which they report as possible fires. This report turned out to be a possible flock of birds.
All fires have been put out for now with no damage reported and windy conditions continue for today.
A hazardous weather outlook has been issued by the NWS for today and tonight as patchy freezing drizzle may occur with a wintry mix of sleet and snow. Wind chill readings near 15 below zero are expected for central Nebraska.
Windy conditions are forecast with gust as high as 25 miles per hour today (Monday). A slight chance of freezing drizzle is predicted with a low around 18 degrees. Wind gust of 25 mph are forecast on Tuesday as well with warmer temperatures of 28 degrees. Mostly sunny skies returns for Wednesday with a high near 30 degrees and a northeast wind of 10 mph.
A 20 percent chance of snow is in the forecast mixing with rain after 4 p.m. on Thursday with a high near 35 degrees. Another chance of snow is in the forecast for Friday night with 40 percent of snow after midnight and a low around 27 degrees. A 40 percent chance of precipitation is forecast on Saturday with a chance of rain and snow and a high near 49 degrees.
For Ella Wiles, competing in a predominantly male sport, just makes her even more determined to achieve her placings she has been earning now for three years. The 13 year old Wiles knows her way around a gun as she has been shooting for fun since she was 10. She also... [More]
BELOIT – The Solomon Valley Hospice are now selling gun raffle tickets on a Remington 870 WingMaster STD 12G 26" VRLCRC rifle with tickets of $5 each or $20 for five tickets. The pump-action is a 50 year favorite-balanced, rugged, dependable gun, blue receiver... [More]
BELOIT – The Mitchell County Hospital Health Systems (MCHHS) athenahealth is putting on a contest to drive awareness and support for the unique challenges that community hospitals face. By sharing what the community hospital means to each contestant, with... [More]
The St. John's/Tipton Blujays were host to the Trojans from Tescott on Friday. This game was a district contrast, giving the Jays added incentive to win, which they did, dominating in a 55-6 victory that ended early in the third quarter by the mercy rule. The Jays were still... [More]
SMITH CENTER – The St. John's Blujays Cross Country teams travelled to Smith Center on September 13 for the Smith Center Cross Country Invitational. Other teams participating included Lakeside, Osborne, Smith Center, Phillipsburg, Natoma, Tipton and Republic... [More]
- 8-Man Division II East All Stars over West 50-12 / Win for East Coach Don Melby caps 40 year coaching career
- St. John’s athletes place in NPL Powerlifting meet
- St. John's/Tipton finish just short at State appearance / Gates ends season in 22 point Lady Jay contest
- Blujay boys comeback win over the Stangs
- Lady Blujays VB runner-up at Rock Hills Tournament
- Blujay's CC place second
- Lady Trojans cross country place third
- Division II All-Stars come back for 28-20 OT win
Dear Editor, The American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life (RFL) event has been an important part of our community over the past several years for our loved ones who have fought cancer as well as a fundraiser for cancer research. Each year our group of volunteers... [More]